Clove essential oil comes from the unopened flower buds of the evergreen tree. The buds contain eugenol (up to 85%), an active chemical component that gives the essential oil an energizing fragrance when used in aromatherapy. Eugenol makes clove Plus, there are a variety of other benefits to this essential oil.
The benefits and uses of clove date back to ancient China and India, as well as other parts of the world.
In Syria, archeologists found cloves in ceramic pots with evidence that dates the find to within a few years of 1721 BC. Sailors and merchants traded cloves during the Middle Ages in the profitable Indian Ocean trade. Cloves even play a part in the story of Sinbad, the Sailor in the Arabian Nights stories.
Until modern times, cloves grew only on a few islands in the Moluccas (historically called the Spice Islands). The Dutch East India Company even tried unsuccessfully to control clove trade as they had with nutmeg.
Clove has been used for years in dental preparations, candy, and gum for its flavor and ability to cleanse the mouth, and has a myriad of other benefits.
Clove Essential Oil Uses
One drop can clean the teeth and gums while promoting fresh breath.
Other uses for Clove Essential Oil include:
- Diffuse three drops Clove, two drops Cinnamon, and one drop of Wild Orange for an invigorating scent during the Fall and Winter seasons.
- Naturally repels insects.
- Place one drop of Clove in two ounces of water and gargle for a soothing effect.
- During your nightly routine, add one drop of clove to your toothbrush before applying toothpaste to clean teeth and gums to help clean teeth and gums while promoting fresh breath.
- After your six-month cleaning at the dentist, apply one drop Clove to teeth and gums.
- Place two to three drops in a dōTERRA Veggie Cap and take internally to support cardiovascular health.
- Combine with dōTERRA® Hand and Body Lotion for a warming massage.
Direction for Use
- Diffuse three to four drops alone or with other essential oils.
- Mix with water in a spray bottle and use to wipe down surfaces.
- Inhale directly from the bottle
- Place two drops in the palms of the hands, rub together and inhale.
- Add one drop to your favorite recipe.
- Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid and drink.
- Place Take in a veggie capsule to boost immunity
- Put a few drops on a cotton ball or a Q-tip and apply directly on gums or teeth to soothe discomfort.
- Combine with doTERRA® Fractionated Coconut Oil and massage the bottom of feet or desired area.
As with all essential oils, please be aware of possible skin sensitivity. Keep clove essential oil out of the reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician before using clove oil.