Fennel essential oil has many beneficial characteristics. Known for its flavor and aroma, Fennel produces flowers, fragrant leaves, and Fennel seeds, which is where the essential oil comes during a steam distillation process. In aromatherapy fennel essential oil has an energizing aroma that helps provide a sense of focus. Diffusing Fennel essential oil adds an energizing aroma and can help encourage a productive day.
Fennel is an evergreen perennial native to the Mediterranean and is now typically grown in herb and vegetable gardens. Best known for its distinct licorice aroma and taste, Fennel has the ability to promote healthy digestion. In addition, Fennel helps support the health of the lungs and respiratory tract as well as its ability to promote healthy metabolism, liver function, and circulation.
Due to the potent aroma and distinct flavor, Fennel is popular in the culinary world to add savor and spice to a variety of dishes. It also helps fight sweet tooth cravings, just add a few drops to water or tea. For thousands of years, fennel has helped stave off hunger pains.
Fennel Essential Oil History
The history of Fennel use dates back to ancient times when Roman warriors were said to have consumed Fennel to make them strong and ready for battle. The ancient Romans and Egyptians would award a garland of fennel as praise to victorious warriors because they believed fennel to bestow strength, courage, longevity.
The Greek name for fennel is “marathon” which literally means “a plain with fennel.” Marathon is where the famous Battle of Marathon was fought in 490 BC during the Greco-Persian Wars. Today, the marathon is a sports event.
Fennel Essential Oil Uses
If you are feeling sluggish or bloated, take Fennel essential oil internally to help promote a healthy metabolism, liver function, and circulation. When taken internally, Fennel essential oil may also help support the health of the lungs and respiratory tract. To take Fennel oil internally, add a few drops of water or another beverage, or add 1–2 drops in a capsule. Additional benefits of Fennel include:
- Diffuse in your home or office to encourage a productive day.
- Add to desserts for an additional depth of flavor.
- Have Fennel on hand when enjoying a big meal to promote digestion.
- May help promote healthy metabolism, liver function, and circulation.
- Promotes healthy digestion.
- Drink in water or tea to help fight sweet tooth cravings.
- Supports a healthy respiratory system.
- Apply to skin for a calming, soothing effect.
- Use with fractionated coconut oil for a soothing abdominal massage.
Directions for Use
You can diffuse Fennel essential oil, rub it on your skin and take it internally.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid. You can also place two drops in a Veggie Capsule and take with water.
- Topically: Apply one to two drops to the desired area. You may want to dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil or other natural oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
As with all essential oils, please be aware of possible skin sensitivity. Keep Fennel essential oil out of the reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician before using Fennel oil.