This Apple Pie recipe includes lemon essential oil. It’s a great way to try traditional apple pie with an added twist of health with Lemon essential oil. Lemon oil is a great way to infuse a bit of citrus flavor into desserts. The lemon in this recipe brings a sunny brightness to a traditional fall dessert.
Benefits of Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon has several benefits besides cleansing and purifying the air. In cooking, lemon essential oil enhances the flavor of food. In addition, lemon essential oil:
- Promotes a positive mood.
- Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion.
- Taken internally assists with seasonal respiratory discomfort.
Cooking Tip: when a recipe calls for lemon zest, a few drops of lemon essential oil will work just as well.
Apple Pie with Lemon Essential Oil Ingredients
The ingredients for this apple pie recipe are pretty much traditional, along wisizth the addition of the essential oil. This makes two 9-inch pies.
- 5 cups apple, sliced
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 drops Lemon oil
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⅓ cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 6–7 tablespoons of cold water
Apple Pie with Lemon Essential Oil Recipe
- Mix all six pie filling ingredients together.
- Cook on medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil. Be sure to constantly stir so that sugars don’t burn.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- For pie crust, place flour, salt, and butter in a medium bowl. Crumb together until little beads form.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, vinegar, and cold water. Mix thoroughly.
- Slowly pour liquid into the bowl with the dry ingredients, folding it in as you pour until flour mixture is moistened. Don’t overmix.
- Divide mixture into four balls.
- Roll out two balls to make the bottom crust and place in two 9-inch pie shells.
- Distribute pie filling between two pie crusts.
- Slice one tablespoon of butter and distribute evenly across the top of pie filling.
- Roll out remaining two dough balls to make the two top crusts and place on top of pies.
- Pinch bottom and top crust together between thumb and index finger of each pie.
- Bake on 350° F for one hour, or until golden brown.
Tip: For a rustic look, brush the top of each pie crust with egg whites and sprinkle on some raw sugar.