Cinnamon is mention only four times in the Bible. We first read of it when God provided the specifications for making Anointing Oil (Exodus 30:23). Cinnamon essential oil would have added a sweet smell to the anointing oil. The spice trade and cinnamon are referenced in Revelation when the fall of Babylon is foretold (Revelation 18:11-13). Ancient nations prized cinnamon so highly that it was considered a suitable gift fit for monarchs.
Cinnamon comes from a tropical, evergreen tree that can grow up to 45 feet high. The bark, leaves, and flowers of the tree are highly fragrant. The essential oil is steam distilled from the bark of the tree.
Cinnamon is Not Cassia
The world has known about cinnamon for centuries. There are reports of cinnamon being imported to Egypt as early as 2000 BC. However, cinnamon may have been confused with cassia. While the two are similar, and often thought of as the same, there are distinct differences between Cinnamon Bark and Cassia essential oils.
Cinnamon and Cassia come from different plants. Cinnamon Bark comes from Cinnamomum zeylanicum and is distilled from the bark of the cinnamon tree. Cassia comes from Cinnamomum cassiae and is steam distilled from the stems and bark of the Cassia shrub. Real Cinnamon is native to Sri Lanka (formerly Ceylon), and the south-eastern coast of India, while the closely related Cassia is native to China.
Enjoy the Benefits of Cinnamon Essential Oil
From an emotional standpoint, several brain health studies have shown that cinnamon oil can boosts brain function. Studies show Cinnamon essential oil aids in removing impurities in the blood and helps improve circulation. The blood thinning agent found in cinnamon oil also helps increase the oxygen supply to cells.
If you want to enjoy the health benefits of Cinnamon essential oil today…
- Swallow a veggie capsule with two drops of Cinnamon to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Place one drop of Cinnamon essential oil in hot water or tea and drink slowly to soothe your irritated throat.
- Put 2–3 drops in a spray bottle for a quick and effective cleaning spray.
- During your nightly routine, add one drop to two ounces of water and gargle for an effective mouth rinse.
- Dilute with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil and create a warming massage for cold, achy joints during winter time.