This DIY Citrus Fabric Softener can reduce wrinkles, and leave your clothes softer with a pleasant scent. Commercial fabric softeners make your clothes softer by leaving behind a film, which is made up of potentially harmful chemicals. So, skip the risk and the expense by making your own laundry softener. It is actually much easier than it sounds. This recipe requires just two ingredients: white vinegar and essential oils.
White vinegar is the perfect fabric softener if you have sensitive skin and cannot tolerate the chemicals in regular fabric softener. It contains acetic acid, which removes leftover detergent and mineral deposits. The essential oils work to create an appealing aroma that is natural and safe for your whole household.
Vinegar as a Fabric Softener?
Vinegar as a fabric softener? Surprising, but yes! Indeed, it has great culinary uses; however, white vinegar can be utilized for many at-home remedies. You may already know it’s great for cleaning windows. Now, you can add fabric softener to the list!
It may be surprising to see vinegar, that sour-tasting liquid, as an ingredient in a fabric softener. You may be hesitant to use vinegar because of concern for smelling like you washed your clothes in a jar of pickles. Actually, the scent of the vinegar is not noticeable once the clothes are dry.
Just don’t confuse white vinegar with malt vinegar, which is browner in color. Vinegar dissolves hard water buildup without leaving a residue, making it a natural softening agent.
Citrus Fabric Softener Ingredients
- 16 ounces white vinegar
- 3 drops Lemon essential oil
- 3 drops Lime essential oil
- 3 drops Grapefruit essential oil
- Lemon, Lime, and Grapefruit citrus peels (optional)
- 16-ounce glass bottle for mixing
- 16-ounce spray bottle
Citrus Fabric Softener Mixing Directions
- Add citrus peels to the glass mixing bottle.
- Pour half of the vinegar into the mixing bottle.
- Add essential oils to the mixing bottle.
- Cap bottle and shake well.
- Fill remainder with vinegar.
- Cap bottle and allow to sit for at least 1 week before use.
How to Use Citrus Fabric Softener
- Transfer solution to a spray bottle.
- Shake well before each use to ensure oils and vinegar are well combined.
- Spray solution over wet clothing as they come out of the washer.
- Toss clothes in the dryer and dry as usual.