Emotions influence our health. Scientists don’t have a definitive explanation as to how; but, they do know emotions impact many components of our health and well-being. Essential oils also have a profound effect on emotions because the olfactory (smell) receptors located in the nasal cavity have direct links with the limbic system. The limbic system is where scents are perceived and processed in the brain.
Essential oils are a mixture of volatile (easily evaporated at normal temperatures) aromatic compounds which easily interact with the body’s smell receptors in the nose. This is why diffusing or directly inhaling an essential oil is the most rapid and intense way to experience its influence on our emotions.
Our sense of smell has a profound effect on our emotions. Simply inhaling certain aromas will elicit an emotional response. With this in mind, doTERRA developed the first, scientifically formulated essential oil blends for targeted emotional health benefits. The doTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy System is an innovative and versatile way to experience the profound benefits of aromatherapy.
Ways to Address Emotions
While emotions are a natural response to the world around us, they need to be handled and addressed appropriately in order to maintain good mental health. For instance, keeping anger bottled up inside of you can lead to an increase in frustration which can explode, leading to a fight or causing you to yell at someone important to you.
We all have different ways of addressing emotions that works for them. Some examples include taking five deep breaths, going for a walk, or squeezing a stress ball. You can even talk to someone about the way you’re feeling or ask for someone’s help in solving a problem.
The doTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy System is an essential oil line designed to help address negative emotions. Use doTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy™ oil blends to address the emotions you’re currently experiencing.
Essential Oils and Emotions
The doTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy System is based on chemistry, not aroma. Each blend began with a specific chemical profile and was created based on the known properties of the essential oil’s chemical constituents.
By their chemical make-up, it is easy to classify essential oils as having either a calming or uplifting effect. Each essential oil group has specific constituent profiles known to elicit distinct emotional responses. The properties and components of each class of essential oil are listed in the following table.
|Floral||Monoterpene Alcohols and Esters||Toning, Calming|
|Tree, Herb & Grass||Sesquiterpenes, Esters, Oxides||Grounding, Soothing, Renewing|
|Mint||Ketones||Energizing, Uplifting, Invigorating|
|Citrus||Limonene and Beta-pinene monoterpenes||Uplifting|
The chart below breaks down the emotional effects of essential oils even further. The chemical makeup and unique plant part of each essential oil give it grounding, soothing, calming, renewing, harmonizing, energizing, warming, or uplifting properties. When you want to produce a specific feeling or emotion, you can choose the essential oil that best fits your needs.
Emotional Aromatherapy System
Discover how these six unique blends can help balance your moods and help you take charge of your emotional well-being. While responses will vary with each individual, the blending of these specific essential oils has created a synergistic composition ideal for promoting healthy emotional responses. The six unique blends in the doTERRA Emotional Aromatherapy System are:
- Motivate® Encouraging Blend is a unique combination of several citrus and mint essential oils, including Yuzu, Clementine, and Peppermint. The chemical profile is high in monoterpenes and monoterpene alcohols, which are known for their uplifting and toning properties. Diffuse this blend to help promote feelings of confidence when working on an important project for work or school. If you’re uninterested in a project or need a little extra help focusing, applying Motivate to your wrists and the back of your neck may lead to an increased desire to work on your studies.
- Cheer® Uplifting Blend is an invigorating mixture of citrus and spice essential oils. Featuring Wild Orange, Cinnamon Bark, and Star Anise essential oils. The chemical profile is rich in monoterpene and aldehydes, renowned for their uplifting and warming properties. Apply one drop of this blend to your hands, rub together, and inhale deeply to help spur feelings of optimism.
- Passion® Inspiring Blend balances spice and herbal essential oils. The combination of Cinnamon Bark, Ginger, Cardamom, Clove, and Damiana creates a chemical profile with high concentrations of phenols and ethers to provide warming and renewing benefits. Diffuse at your work desk to help spark creativity.
- Forgive® Renewing Blend mixes familiar tree and herb essential oils to create a diverse chemical profile with high concentrations of monoterpene esters and alcohols. Pure Thyme essential oil along with several tree oils produces a blend with renewing and toning properties. If you’re angry, try inhaling Forgive to help release your emotions of frustration and hurt. No meditation session is complete without diffusing to help encourage patience and contentment.
- Console® Comforting Blend combines floral and tree essential oils. The combination of Rose absolute, Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, Sandalwood, and several other highly valued tree and flower oils creates a blend rich in both monoterpenes and sesquiterpene alcohols. The chemical composition is highly grounding and renewing. A drop or two on your shirt collar can be that little extra you need to help counteract feelings of grief and sadness.
- Peace® Reassuring Blend is a fusion of floral and mint essential oils. The combination of Lavender and Spearmint essential oils, along with some lesser-known oils like Labdanum creates a chemical profile rich in monoterpene esters and alcohols. The blend provides a renewing and toning experience. Diffuse at night to help promote a calming and restful sleep environment so you can embrace the next day.
Dr. Hill Talks About Emotions
In the video below, Dr. David K. Hill, doTERRA’s Founding Executive Chief Medical Officer, discusses how essential oils can be used to support our emotional health.