Using essential oil for cleaning makes cleaning easier and healthier! Not only can essential oils cleanse surfaces and purify the air, but they leave behind a pleasant aroma that will instantly make your home feel clean and refreshed without that ‘hospital’ smell. Let’s face it, cleaning around the house is never a pleasant chore. Not only because, well, it’s a chore; but because over-the-counter cleaners can be toxic.
You may be familiar with the health benefits of essential oils. Perhaps you’ve tried them in cooking or enjoyed the uplifting, relaxing, and soothing scents. But have you tried using essential oils for cleaning? With natural cleansing and purifying properties, essential oils that can be a helpful part of any regular cleaning routine. In this blog, we list a few essential oil cleaning recipes that hopefully will give you some ideas on how you can incorporate essential oils into your cleaning regimen.
Essential Oil Cleaner for Refrigerator and Microwave
Cleaning out the food reside caked in a microwave or that mysterious sticky spot in the refrigerator is not a fun job. However, the scent of Lemon essential oil in this DIY Cleaner replaces the stains, spills, and other residues in this simple and easy-to-make Refrigerator and Microwave Cleaner.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 2 cups hot water
- 15 drops of Lemon essential oil
- Combine the ingredients in glass spray bottle.
- Spray mixture inside fridge or microwave, then scrub and wipe using a damp cloth.
What was once was a dreaded chore turns into a simple task with this DIY recipe. Lemon essential oil is perfect for removing sticky messes and leaves a refreshing scent each time you open the fridge or microwave.
Essential Oil Cleaner for the Stove Top
You’ll find some of the toughest stains in the kitchen on the stovetop. Cooking splatter, leftover grease, and caked-on residue can quickly build up and leave an unsightly mess to clean up.
- ¼ cup baking soda
- ¼ cup table salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4–5 drops of Purify Cleansing Blend
- Stir all ingredients together until they form a paste.
- Spread the paste over stove top and burners.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes or longer for hard-to remove stains.
- Using a sponge, scrub the mixture into the grime.
- Remove excess cleaner and wipe the surface clean.
Using this cleaner takes less than 20 minutes and will leave a sparkling clean stove. Not only will the stove top look great once it is free from stains and grime, but this mixture leaves behind the uplifting, fresh scent of Purify essential oil blend.
Essential Oil Cleaner for Glass
Just three simple ingredients make this DIY cleaner for windows and mirrors. This natural glass cleaner leaves the inviting, fresh scent of essential oils, rather than harsh toxins. The DIY recipe is flexible! You can use any citrus-based essential oil – Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, or Wild Orange – to wipe away fingerprints, water stains, and more.
- 16-ounce spray bottle
- 1 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup distilled water
- 8 drops of any citrus oil of your choice (could use Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Wild Orange, or a combination)
- Add vinegar, water, and essential oil(s) to spray bottle
- Shake bottle before each spray.
All-Purpose Essential Oil Cleaner
This inexpensive, nontoxic all-purpose, alternative to commercial cleaners may become your go-to general cleaning solution. This spray is perfect for cleaning any hard surface around the house. Using this all-purpose cleaner to wipe down surfaces not only cleans but keeps everyone safe and adds an extra element of freshness to the home.
Some of the best essential oils for cleaning are Lavender, Lemon, Wild Orange, Eucalyptus, doTERRA On Guard®, Peppermint, and Grapefruit; however, you can use most any essential oil combination you like.
- 16 oz. glass spray bottle
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1¾ cups water
- 30 drops doTERRA essential oil
Recommended essential oil combinations (select one, each add up to 30 drops):
- 15 drops each of Lavender and Lemon
- 10 drops each of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Wild Orange
- 30 drops doTERRA On Guard®
- 15 drops each of Grapefruit and doTERRA On Guard
- Add all ingredients to spray bottle.
- Shake thoroughly before each spray.
There is no need to put on rubber gloves and a surgical mask for cleaning. Using essential oils to create your own cleaning spray is safe for both your family and the environment. These are just a few of the natural cleaner recipes you can make yourself. We’ll have more in our next post.