Essential oils are good for flowers, just like humans! In fact, Melaleuca essential oil can help your flowers last longer! An arrangement of fresh-cut flowers always brightens the home, but cut flowers don’t last very long inside the house. One day they’re beautiful, the next they’re headed to the trash. This flower water recipe can help flowers last longer.
Enter essential oils! Yes, essential oils are good for flowers, just as they are good for humans! The good folks at AromaTools tell us Melaleuca essential oil can help cut flowers last longer! With Mother’s Day around the corner, now you can give Mom flowers and show her how to make them last longer. Every woman, mother or not, loves flowers.
In this post, we share some helpful tips that will make you a cut-flower expert. These simple and useful tips can help out when you need flowers to last as long as possible for a special event. It all starts with a special solution we call “Flower Water.” The recipe is simple:
Flower Water Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons – Sugar
- 1 Drop – Melaleuca Essential Oil
- 2 Tablespoons – Apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 Cup – Filtered water
The Melaleuca helps kill bacteria in the water that leads to mold growth.
- Add Melaleuca essential oil to the sugar in a glass measuring cup large enough to hold all ingredients.
- Mix Sugar and Melaleuca well.
- Add Apple Cider Vinegar and filtered water. Stir until all of the sugar is dissolved.
Prepare the Flowers
The basic tips for making a floral arrangement are ones you probably already know:
- Before arranging cut flowers, cut the flower stems at an angle. If possible, hold the stems under water when cutting. By cutting at an angle allows more surface area to soak up the water and nutrients.
- When cutting the stems, cut them a bit longer than you need.
- Whenever possible, always use filtered water. Tap water contains chlorine and other minerals or chemicals and such that can diminish plant health.
- Change flower water and recut flower stems (just a tiny bit) every 2–3 days. A cut stem slowly seals up preventing the flower to soak up the water and nutrients effectively. Plus, this gives you a chance to make the arrangement look fresh again.
- As much as possible, keep cut flowers away from direct heat and light.
If you are using cut flowers for a special event, like a reception or party, use a floral essential oil instead of Melaleuca in your first batch of Flower Water, to help enhance the scent of your floral decorations. Some floral oils to consider are lavender, ylang ylang, geranium, clary sage, Roman chamomile, jasmine, and rose.
After the event, when you are ready to display your flowers elsewhere (after 2 or 3 days), use the Melaleuca essential oil Flower Water as the replacement water. Just trim the flower stems and rearrange the flowers to enjoy after the event.
Spring flower arrangements make great centerpieces and decorations for any event. The arrangement doesn’t have to be a large display. A few flowers in a small glass bottle or some clear plastic tubes tied together with a bow or decorative ribbon are a perfect accent for any room of the house.