A floral centerpiece is an elegant addition to any home. Whether the dining table or on a mantel, cut flowers are an excellent way to bring the outside inside. Unfortunately, fresh-cut flowers don’t last very long inside the house, especially during the fall and winter when the indoor heat seems to make them fade even faster.
Previously we shared a flower water DIY recipe that can help cut flowers last longer. Today, we share another DIY decorating tip to help flowers stay beautiful indoors longer.
Fall gourds and pumpkins make a perfect container for autumn foliage and flowers. To keep the flowers vibrant, add a few drops of cinnamon and clove essential oil. Not only do the oils help keep the water fresh, Cinnamon and Clove also help fight mold and mildew.
Fall Floral Centerpiece
For a beautiful, rustic display, fill a hollowed pumpkin with autumn foliage and cut flowers. Use a few drops of Cinnamon and Clove oils to help keep the water fresh and the flowers vibrant longer.
The International Society for Horticultural Science found clove and cinnamon essential oils to be effective fumigants (volatile compounds used as a disinfectant or pesticide). The oils work well against thrips and mealybugs which are major pests of cut orchids.
Fall Floral Centerpiece Items
- 1 pumpkin
- 1 block of floral foam
- Wide bowl and water
- Fall foliage and flowers of your choosing for display
- 2 drops Cinnamon Bark oil
- 4 drops Clove oil
- Smaller gourds and pumpkins to accessorize the main centerpiece.
- Florist’s tape can be helpful in keeping flower stems positioned optimally.
Fall Floral Centerpiece Instructions
- Fill a wide bowl with water, adding the Cinnamon and Clove oil. Set foam block on the surface of the water and allow to soak until wet all the way through.
- Carve a hole around the stem of the pumpkin about the size of the floral foam block.
- Using a spoon or your fingers, scoop out as much of the pumpkin’s seeds and fibers as possible.
- Trim the foam block to fit inside of your pumpkin.
- Trim flower stems at an angle so that they are sharp and easier to push into foam block.
- Arrange foliage and flowers as desired.
Tip: To keep the arrangement beautiful longer, place the foam block in an empty yogurt package or similar plastic container in the pumpkin. This allows you to easily replenish the water and oil to keep the flowers fresh-looking and enjoy even longer.