Lice can be a problem with school children. The tiny parasites are spread by personal contact; however, essential oils are a natural way to protect children. This article is a simple DIY spray to help keep lice away from your family. The mixture is a combination of oils that take advantage of the natural properties of the essential oils.
Keep Lice Away Spray Recipe
This DIY recipe is suitable for any time children encounter an environment for the first time. Treat hair prior to school each day for the first few weeks of school.
- 25 drops Melaleuca
- 10 drops Peppermint
- 10 drops Rosemary
- 10 drops Cedarwood
- 10 drops Lavender
- Distilled water
- 8 oz spray bottle
- Add all essential oils to the spray bottle.
- Add distilled water to fill the spray bottle.
- Shake before each use.
- Spray hair before leaving home each day.
For extra protection, add 10 drops of Melaleuca to regular shampoo for added protection.
Head lice are contagious. You should take precautions to avoid catching and spreading lice. At home, don’t share personal belongings such as hairbrushes, hair clips, combs, and hats. Launder clothes and sheets regularly. If you think there is a lice infestation in your home, vacuum the floors and furniture. Then, cover the furniture for two weeks with a plastic drop cloth.
In school or child care settings, it’s hard to prevent the spread of lice. Teach children to avoid shared spaces for clothing and hats, such as community closets and lockers. Also, teach children to avoid head-to-head contact with others during playtime to help prevent the spread of lice.
Lice Treatment Caution
Should you use over-the-counter medicated shampoos to treat lice, be aware, these often contain flammable chemicals. You should avoid using a blow dryer to dry hair after using these treatments. Other tips regarding commercial preparations:
- Don’t use more than one commercial head lice treatment at a time.
- Don’t use the same treatment repeatedly (more than three times).
- Don’t use commercial sprays to treat head lice.
- For the most effective lice treatment, don’t use a cream rinse or conditioner before applying the treatment.
- Don’t wash hair for a day or two afterward using over-the-counter medications.