Lemon essential oil is perhaps the most popular of all of doTERRA’s essential oils. In aromatherapy, lemon provides an energizing, uplifting feeling. The essential oil of the lemon has monoterpenes, chemicals which have uplifting characteristics. Along with other citrus oils, Lemon is composed of Limonene and beta-Pinene, two monoterpenes that provide uplifting properties.
But we’ve talked about that in previous posts. In a recent post, we provided a DIY Produce cleaning recipe that works to because of the use of lemon essential oil. That post made us think about all the different uses and benefits of lemon essential oil. So, we thought this might be a good time to compile a list of some of many ways you can use lemon essential oil.
Did You Know?
A single lemon tree can produce around 500- to 600-pounds of lemons each year. It takes about 45 lemons to produce enough essential oil to fill a 15-mL bottle.
Lemon Oil Uses and Benefits
Here are a few topical, aromatic, and internal uses as well as some innovative ways to use Lemon essential oil:
- When taking Lemon essential oil internally, dilute one drop on 4 fluid ounces of water.
- Add Lemon oil to your water for a refreshing taste or as an alternative to sodas and sugary drinks.
- Lemon oil can naturally help cleanse the body of toxins.
- Lemon essential oil helps aid in digestion.
- Add a drop of Lemon oil and some sliced fruit to your drinking water for a delicious infused flavor.
- Take a few drops of Lemon oil internally to assist with seasonal respiratory discomfort.
- Lemon oil can help kill the bacteria causing a sore throat, add two drops to a teaspoon of honey.
- Add a few drops of Lemon oil to your soap to get grease and its residue off your hands.
- Lemon oil can help exfoliate your skin, just add a few drops to your skincare routine for a healthy complexion. (Make your own exfoliant scrub by combining 4–5 drops of Lemon essential oil to a small amount of oatmeal and water.)
- Diffuse Lemon oil for an uplifting environment and to promote a positive mood.
- Diffusing Lemon oil helps cleanse and purify the air and surfaces in your home.
- Diffusing Lemon essential oil also helps eliminate airborne odors and keeps the area smelling fresh.
The cleansing and preserving qualities of Lemon make it the perfect oil for maintaining your furniture.
- By adding a few drops of Lemon oil to olive oil, you can create your own non-toxic furniture polish at home.
- Apply Lemon oil to wood furniture for a clean shine and prevent fine wood finishes from drying out. (If using on handmade furniture, test first in an inconspicuous spot before applying it to the entire piece.
- Wipe down leather furniture with a cloth soaked in Lemon oil to help preserve and prevent leather from splitting.
- Lemon oil is a great remedy for the early stages of tarnish on silver and other metals. Put a couple of drops of Lemon oil on a cotton ball, and rub on the tarnish.
- Remove permanent marker from surfaces with a cotton ball and several drops of Lemon oil
The purifying properties of Lemon essential oil make it a perfect component for homemade cleaning agents.
- Add Lemon oil to a spray bottle of water and use it as a homemade cleaning solution when you wipe down countertops, baby high chair, bathroom sink. (Add a little vinegar to make an even stronger solution.)
- Remove stubborn, sticky residue from a price tag with a cloth and a few drops of Lemon essential oil.
Add a sweet and zesty punch to your favorite recipes with a little Lemon essential oil. When used correctly, Lemon oil can add a sweet, sugary taste to desserts, without the processed sugar or other alternative ingredients.
Here’s a video video that illustrates some of these ideas: