A Pumpkin Cookie can be a terrific seasonal treat! As an added bonus, pumpkin is good for you. This recipe increases the health benefits with essential oils. The cookies are a different way to enjoy the benefits of pumpkin as well as make some holiday memories.
Pumpkin Cookie Health Highlights
Pumpkins have numerous health benefits – all of which are generally forgotten around the fall holidays. If you’re looking for something different for a treat – and one that isn’t all that bad – this may be for you.
Pumpkin is rich in fiber and can help slow digestion. There’s more fiber in a cup of canned pumpkin than two slices of whole-grain bread! Pumpkin also is high in vitamin A which is essential for eye health and vitamin A helps the body fight infections.
Cinnamon helps support a healthy metabolic function and may help reduce some of the adverse effects of eating high-fat foods. Of course, cinnamon alone will not lead to weight loss but can help in an overall weight reduction program.
Ginger helps reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion. It may also help support healthy digestion.
Clove Bud contains powerful antioxidant properties.
Oat Flour helps with the feeling of being full after eating. It may also help reduce the risk of heart disease and help lower cholesterol.
Pumpkin Cookie Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 drops doTERRA Cinnamon essential oil
- 2 drops doTERRA Ginger essential oil
- 1 drop doTERRA Clove Bud essential oil
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup oat flour (You can make your own oat flour by tossing oats in a food processor or blender.)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 cup pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin Cookie Recipe Directions
- Reduce pumpkin by placing in a saucepan over medium heat for 30–45 minutes. Stir often until pumpkin has reduced to ½ cup. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together shortening and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Mix cooled pumpkin, vanilla, and doTERRA oils into the creamed shortening mixture.
- Sift in remaining dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls. Place onto baking sheets.
- Flatten dough ball tops with a spoon and arrange a few pumpkin seeds in the center as a garnish.
- Bake 10–12 minutes.
Remove from oven and let stand on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before moving to cool on wire racks.