This salad in a jar recipe is an easy way to eat healthy when you’re on the road. Typically, we end up compromising proper nutrition for food that is quick, easy and hand-held which means meals on road trips usually end up being high in fats. However, it is not that hard to maintain a healthy diet on the road. And this simple salad in a jar has the additional benefits of lemon essential oil.
Simple salad recipes are an excellent choice for travel because they are filled with fresh ingredients and good nutrition. The advantage of putting them in a jar gives you a ready-made, quick, and convenient meal. Salad in a jar is perfect for long road trips or for those busy times when you need a meal on the go.
Health Benefits of Salad in a Jar
Here are the health benefits of this quick and creative Mason jar salad recipe that has only five ingredients.
- Spinach is rich in iron and packed with protein and carbs which are mostly fiber. Also, an excellent source of vitamins K, A, C, and folate. Vitamin K is important for maintaining bone health. Finding another vegetable richer in vitamin K than spinach is hard.
- Strawberries are packed with vitamins, fiber, and high levels of antioxidants, strawberries are a sodium-free, fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie food. They are also a good source of manganese and potassium.
- Almonds are one of the most popular tree nuts. They contain lots of healthy fats, fiber, protein, and magnesium. Almonds are a fantastic source of antioxidants and vitamin E.
- Lemon Essential Oil naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion, supports healthy respiratory function and assists with seasonal respiratory discomfort.
Spinach Salad in a Jar Ingredients
Here’s all you need for this simple salad:
- ¼ cup strawberries
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Salad dressing of choice
- 1 tablespoon cheese of choice
- 3 drops Lemon essential oil
- 1 Large, wide-mouth Mason Jar
*Optional: add grilled chicken and/or red onions
- Chicken is 80 percent protein and is rich in Vitamin B which is essential for converting carbs into energy. Chicken also provides servings of potassium, iron, and magnesium.
- Onions are an excellent addition to this salad, as they are excellent sources of vitamin C, sulphuric compounds, flavonoids, and phytochemicals. A 2005 study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found a high concentration of flavonoids in the outer layers of onion flesh. So, remove as little of the edible part of the onion as possible when peeling it.
Directions for Preparing Salad in a Jar
- Cap and slice the strawberries
- Layer spinach in Mason jar with strawberries
- If using, also layer chicken and onions with spinach
- Top with almonds, and cheese.
Cap and store the jar in the fridge without the dressing or essential oil.
Hold off on adding the salad dressing and Lemon essential oil until you’re ready to eat it. This helps keep the spinach and other ingredients fresh.