The star anise tree is an evergreen indigenous to southeastern Asia. In Chinese culture, the plant is called “eight-horned anise” or simply “eight horns,” referring to the usually shaped fruit with eight-follicles.
The essential oil is steam distilled from the fruit, seed, and leaf of the star anise tree. Taking Star Anise internally helps support a healthy cardiovascular system. In aromatherapy, Star Anise blends extremely well with floral and wood essential oils for an emotionally balancing experience.
Anethole, the main chemical component of Star Anise, is what creates the characteristic sweet, spicy, fresh, licorice-like aroma. The compound is the same ingredient that gives the unrelated anise its flavor.
Star Anise is most commonly known for its support of digestive health. As a main ingredient in dōTERRA DigestZen®, Star Anise can be used alone to help calm an occasional upset stomach and is a perfect oil for supporting healthy digestion in its own right. Star Anise can also promote feelings of relaxation when taken internally.
Star Anise Essential Oil History
Native to Asia, Star Anise has been used for centuries throughout Chinese history for its culinary and medicinal properties. In Chinese medicine, it is helpful with various digestive issues and as a breath freshener. The Japanese would burn the aromatic bark of the tree for incense.
Star anise is often used as a stimulant, in cough syrups and to aid in the relief of nausea, flatulence and fluid retention. Europe discovered it in the 17th century to flavor syrups, cordials, and preserves. It is still used in western countries today to as a flavoring in drinks, chewing gum, and confections.
Star Anise Essential Oil Benefits and Uses
Star Anise essential oil has many benefits, both topically and internally. Immune system support and healthy cellular function are just a couple of the main benefits Star Anise offers in addition to being relaxing. Some of the uses include:
- Add Star Anise essential oil to tea to help support healthy digestion.
- Dilute a drop or two of Star Anise oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil for a soothing massage.
- Take a drop or two internally to promote relaxing feelings.
- Blend with floral or wood oils to create a grounding and emotionally balancing experience.
Directions for Use
You can diffuse Star Anise Essential Oil, rub it on your skin and take it internally.
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
- Internal: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid. You can also place two drops in a Veggie Capsule and take with water.
- Topically: Apply one to two drops to the desired area. You may want to dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil or other natural oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.
As with all essential oil blends, please be aware of possible skin sensitivity. Keep Star Anise essential oil out of the reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes, inner ears, and sensitive areas. If you are pregnant, nursing, or under a doctor’s care, consult your physician before using Star Anise oil.