A sore throat is no fun. It’s even less fun if you are a singer or speaker and must face an audience. Essential oils are a natural recipe for helping ease discomfort no matter what your profession might be. We have found essential oils an effective way to relieve throat discomfort. In this post, we happily share a recipe for throat discomfort relief along with how the essential oils can help.
Throat Relief Essential Oils
There are six single oils and one doTERRA essential oil blend in this recipe. Each oil contributes unique properties to help fight throat discomfort. The oils are:
- Lemon essential oil helps destroy germs.
- Clove essential oil contains the active ingredient eugenol, which is a natural anesthetic. Many dental products contain clove because it helps numb and reduce discomfort. Eugenol also has natural anti-inflammatory properties which can help reduce puffiness and irritation.
- Peppermint essential oil is a frequent toothpaste additive for good oral hygiene.
- Myrrh essential oil has powerful cleansing properties, especially for the mouth and throat.
- Oregano essential oil helps support the immune system and is often used internally during difficult times.
- Sandalwood essential oil kills germs and unwanted pathogens; it also helps support the immune system.
- On Guard Protective Blend supports the body’s natural antioxidant defenses and provides a natural and effective alternative for immune support.
Essential Oil Throat Relief Recipe
Now that you know what each contributes to the recipe, here’s how to make your own throat discomfort spray.
- 8 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 8 drops On Guard Protective Blend
- 4 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
- 2 drops Myrrh Essential Oil
- 1 drop Oregano Essential Oil
- 1 drop Clove Essential Oil
- 1 drop Sandalwood Essential Oil
- Distilled water
- Add all oils to a 15ml (half-ounce) glass spray bottle.
- Add distilled water to bottle until approximately three-quarters full
- To use the spray, shake before each use.
- Spray on the back of the throat.
- Repeat spraying throat every 20 – 60 minutes to obtain desired results.
- Avoid eating or drinking immediately after spraying.
NOTE 1: Glass spray bottles are available in different sizes from many essential oil supply companies and online retailers. In some cases, smaller spray bottles may not be available as a single unit. Instead, they may be available only in packages of 6 or more. This can make it easy to keep a bottle of the solution at work and home as well as allowing other family members to have their own spray container.
NOTE 2: If you use a larger spray bottle, be sure to increase the number of essential oil drops. (For a 1-ounce spray bottle, double the number of essential oil drops, etc. or do not fill the bottle as full of distilled water.